Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Verb Tense 2: Progressive Verb Tenses

Following Verb Tense Part 1, we are going to practice progressive verb tense in Part 2. We will also review simple tense at the end of this session.


2.1 Progressive Verb Tense: Basics
Progressive verb tense is used to indicate events that are “in action at the moment,” whether it is referring to a moment in the future, past or right now.


2.2 Present Progressive
Simple present is used to describe an action that is effecting right now.

The boy is crying.
I am writing a letter to my parents.
He is walking to school.
She is preparing breakfast for her family.
Vince is complaining.

>>Note: “be going to V” is used to state actions that will happen in the near future
The boy is going to cry.
I am going to write a letter to my parents.
She is going to prepare breakfast for her family.
Vince is going to complain.

>>Note: Verbs describing constant condition are seldom used in present progressive
I am liking you. (X)
He is remembering me. (X)
Sally is hating Lisa. (X)
Father is loving mother. (X)
We are agreeing with each other. (X)


2.3 Past Progressive
Past progressive refers to actions that were taking place at a certain point in the past. Simple past is often used with past progressive to help define the time of action.

Dora was watching a TV program when her mother got in the house.
Pitt was talking on the phone when the police man stopped him.
I was sleeping while my mother was making diner last night.
You were taking a shower when I called.
They were finishing up the project when the storm suddenly hit town.


2.4 Future Progressive
Future progressive refers to actions that will be taking place at a certain point in the future. Present simple is often used with future progressive to define the future time point.

She will still be packing when the bus arrives tomorrow morning.
I will be attending a meeting when you come in.
He will be calling up people for help when the time comes.
We will be competing with the best teams at the national game.



Practice:
Choose the correct verb form.
1. David ____ to his family five minutes ago.
a. is writing b. was writing c. write d. will be writing
2. I ____ the house when he phoned.
a. am cleaning b. cleans c. was cleaning d. will be cleaning
3. When I called her cell, she ____ a concert.
a. is attending b. attended c. was attending d. will be attending
4. My family ____ a fight when my teacher suddenly visited us.
a. were having b. are having c. had d. will be fighting
5. You ____ his skillful playing at the show tomorrow night.
a. is enjoying b. enjoy c. were enjoying d. will be enjoying
6. When he ____, I will be waiting for him in the conference room.
a. come b. comes c. came d. will come
7. Peter was already in the airport when the airlines ____ him that the flight was cancelled.
a. is telling b. tells c. told d. was telling
8. The students were celebrating their school’s day when the earthquake ____ place.
a. take b. takes c. took d. will take
9. We are going to visit Japan. =
a. We goes to Japan often. b. We went to Japan. c. go… went d. will go… goes
10. When you arrive Taipei in the morning, I ___ on my way to the airport.
a. am b. was c. will be d. will








Ans.
1. bccad
6. cbcdc


No comments: